1806 the mill was built by the villagers in Kyrkotorp. Next to the mill was a croft (see picture above) where millers and later engineer for the power plant lived. The cottage was demolished in 1935 but the renovated mill house is still there today.
The traces of the ancient heroes, we find all around Laxforsen. It evokes feelings of humility and respect for the people who created the conditions for our modern society.
In the early 1900s the villagers all came together to electrify rural areas and in 1915 they inaugurated the power plant on Laxforsen, then called Djursjöbäcken. The farmers in the region struggled to build dams and power stations and pulled cables as far away as Annebergs town center. As the cables were pulled the farms started to lit up one by one. It costed 6 swedish krona per 25 W lamp and year.
the salmon farm
Fish farming has been conducted on Laxforsen since the 50s. Many 10's of millions of salmon roe reared in the facility to then be resold to salmon breeders and eventually end up on the dinner table. A few thousand salmon roe have been retained each year within the plant to be fed to large fish. Those were then planted in the lake or resold for restocking of put and take lakes.
When the plant was at its peak during the 1980-90's Laxforsen was one of the most modern fish farms in the world. Here traveled growers from all over the world to learn about fish farming. EWOS, a subsidiary of Alfa-Laval, were the ones who owned and ran the farm. 2008 the fish farm was completely phased out and Laxforsen was instead focused on rental. Nevertheless, there are still three ponds left with big salmons that reminds us of what previously was conducted here.